Orygen, the National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health is the world’s leading research and knowledge translation organisation focusing on mental ill-health in young people.
At Orygen, our leadership and staff work to deliver cutting-edge research, policy development, innovative clinical services, and evidence-based training and education to ensure that there is continuous improvement in the treatments and care provided to young people experiencing mental ill-health.
The Government Relations and Advocacy officer will be responsible for the development of well-constructed analytic briefs, submissions, reports and position papers for use by the organisation in advocacy and government relations to obtain optimal exposure for key issues associated with youth mental health and the need for early intervention.
This role will work with a wide range of key stakeholders, both internal and external, particularly elected officials, their staff, as well as, senior staff within governments to provide authoritative advice on issues related to youth health, well-being and mental health in Victoria, nationally and on occasion. internationally.
Reporting to the Principal Adviser, Government Relations and Policy this position is a central role that is responsible for working to support Orygen’s work in advocacy and government relations to gain support for desired outcomes for youth mental health in Australia based on Orygen’s core objectives associated with youth mental health and the need for early intervention.
Part-time, fixed term position available until 30 January 2020
The Government Relations and Advocacy Officer will be responsible for a number of activities and deliverables related to government relations and advocacy and policy development.
- Prepare background materials and talking points to help build Orygen’s parliamentary and government relations activities in support of campaign and public policy objectives. This will include undertaking research and consultation with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Understand and provide advice on how best to undertake advocacy opportunities with elected officials, their representatives and Governments. Where the need for specific advocacy campaigns is identified and adopted, the role will be responsible for the development and coordination of the campaigns and management of campaign budgets.
- Produce briefings, submissions (including budget submissions) and other support documents to assist advocacy and government relations strategies of Orygen.
- Assist the Communications team in the development of materials for use across the organisation and for use to guide internal and external messaging to ensure consistency with key Orygen government relations strategies, policy and advocacy positions.
- Influence external agendas through well-developed relationship-building and advocacy activities with key political figures and their offices. This will include:
- coordinating meetings with MPs/key figures and undertake follow up as required
- the development and maintenance of an advocacy database with relevant information about Members/Senators and Local Electorates.
- Support the delivery of Orygen’s organisational strategy for the Victorian Royal Commission into Mental Health.
- Participation and commitment in professional development and further education.
- Completion of recognised tertiary qualification(s) in Law, Political Sciences, Public Policy, Social Sciences, and/or a related discipline. An excellent working knowledge of and experience in relevant policy, political advocacy and/or research work.
- A demonstrable capacity to think analytically and creatively in a policy and advocacy context.
- Well-developed inter-personal skills, and the ability to develop strong relationships with external stakeholders.
- Demonstrable and exemplary communication skills, both oral and written, including the ability to translate complex ideas into language suitable for a variety of audiences.
- Ability to work in a changing, complex and demanding environment, with high degree self-management.
- Strong project management and organisational skills, as well as, an ability to meet urgent deadlines whilst contributing to a team environment.
- An understanding of the present issues and policies associated with mental health and youth health.
- Previous experience working in a role as an advocate or a policy strategist.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and a supporting statement that addresses the key selection criteria.
For further information about the role, please contact Vivienne Browne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications to be sent to email@example.com, using the subject line: Government Relations and Advocacy Officer.
Closing Date for Applications: Sunday, 28 April 2019
Orygen is an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to attracting, developing and retaining our staff irrespective of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community. We strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
Orygen reserves the right to close the advertisement before this date is reached. Therefore, it is encouraged that you submit your application as soon as possible.
Download the full Position Description