Orygen, he National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health is the world’s leading research and knowledge translation organisation focusing on mental ill-health in young people.
At Orygen, our leadership and staff work to deliver cutting-edge research, policy development, innovative clinical services, and evidence-based training and education to ensure that there is continuous improvement in the treatments and care provided to young people experiencing mental ill-health.
The Senior Policy Analyst is responsible for the development of well-constructed analytic policy reports and papers for organisational use to obtain optimal exposure for key issues associated with youth mental health and the need for early intervention.
This role will work with a wide range of key stakeholders (both internal and external to the organisation) to develop youth mental health policy papers, prepare documents and reports on the analysis of key youth mental health issues and policies, and provide authoritative policy advice to senior staff and government on issues related to youth health, wellbeing and mental health in Victoria, nationally and on occasion internationally.
Reporting to the Principal Policy Adviser, the Senior Policy Analyst will work with colleagues within the Policy team, within Strategy and Development and across the organisation to ensure the achievement of policy targets as per the agreed work plan.
Full-time / Part-time (0.8 – 1.0 FTE) fixed term position available for 12 months
The Senior Policy Analyst will be responsible for a number of activities and deliverables:
- Lead policy development, research and analysis for use by Orygen to obtain optimal exposure for key issues associated with youth mental health and the need for early intervention. This policy advice will:
- clearly identify the policy problem,
- manage an adaptive and iterative research approach,
- identify the impact and intended outcomes of addressing the problem,
- outline a solution, with reference to available evidence,
- consider stakeholder interests and stakeholder engagement, and
- identify risks and how to manage risks.
- Undertake independent analysis of research evidence and data to prepare, or contribute to, a range of high quality and well written policy documents including: longer form reports, high level concise policy briefings, position papers and statements, submissions and correspondence.
- Develop policy recommendations for reports and briefings that reflect: a) the context of existing or emerging government policies and programs and b) evidence for best practice interventions and models of youth mental health care.
- Identify and establish relationships with key stakeholders (internal and external) and lead consultation and collaboration processes in the development of evidence informed policy-focused documents and advice.
- Participate in team projects as required.
- Possession of an appropriate and recognised tertiary qualification(s) in Political Sciences, Public Policy, Social Sciences, Law or a related discipline.
- Understands policy analysis and development including how government policies are developed and enacted, and funding delivered across sectors.
- Identifies key messages and information to formulate policy options and recommendations for government decision makers and service designers and planners.
- A demonstrable capacity to think analytically, including the interpretation and analysis of qualitative and quantitative research and datasets.
- A demonstrable capacity to identify and develop novel initiatives in youth mental health policy.
- Preparation of well written and complex policy reports, briefs, submissions and correspondence.
- Ability to edit written communication to ensure it contains the information necessary to achieve its purpose and meet audience needs.
- Ensures appropriate style and formats are used.
- A high level of understanding of the role collaboration, consultation and partnership plays in developing effective and evidence based policy.
- Plans, documents and implements strategies to identify, engage and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in the development of policy advice.
- Works in partnership with key internal stakeholders relevant to particular policy projects, in particular the research, translational, clinical service and youth engagement areas of the organisation.
Initiative and accountability:
- Takes responsibility for actions and proactively addresses issues as they emerge.
- Identifies risks to delivering key work on time or as planned, and discusses options to manage these risks with direct supervisor.
- Works as part of a team, as well as autonomously to provide leadership in your particular portfolio.
- Produces project plans where objectives are defined, action steps for achieving them are specified and managing the risk of delays is incorporated into overall timing.
- Excellent time management and work planning capacities are essential.
- An understanding of the present issues and policies associated with mental health and youth health.
- Postgraduate qualification in public policy or a related area.
- Previous experience in working in a senior role as a policy strategist or analyst.
- Experience working in mental health.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and a supporting statement that addresses the key selection criteria.
For further information about the role, please view attached position description or alternatively please contact David Baker at email@example.com
Applications to be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Senior Policy Analyst.
Closing Date for Applications: Friday, 31 May 2019
Orygen is an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to attracting, developing and retaining our staff irrespective of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community. We strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
Orygen reserves the right to close the advertisement before this date is reached. Therefore, it is encouraged that you submit your application as soon as possible.
Download the full Position Description