What’s it all about?
The Youth Engagement and Training Initiative (YETI) has been produced by Orygen, the National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health, The University of Melbourne and the Australian Catholic University.
YETI is a space for young people in Australia to communicate, engage in online training on advocacy and youth mental health programs and share information about youth mental health. It provides opportunity to discuss upcoming projects, events and receive updates on how to get involved in activities and programs offered by Orygen.
The great thing about YETI is that you can create your own profile and you are completely in charge of the information you would like to share. So, you can choose a profile picture that is perhaps of your favorite beach rather than a picture of yourself. Perhaps you’re comfortable sharing what course you’re studying but you don’t want to name your university… also totally fine!
Looking after yourself
YETI is moderated by Orygen staff, including the Youth Engagement & Participation staff. It is important that you remember to look after yourself and to let moderators know if you’re feeling overwhelmed or uncomfortable with any part of the platform.
We understand that you are busy and there are a number of factors that may impact on your ability to participate in YETI and any of the programs associated with YETI. This may mean that sometimes you may need to take a break. If you need to take a break, it’s important to let us know. Although it is unlikely, we may need to ask you to take a break in some cases.
Please take the time to read the Australian Government’s eSafety resources. These games and videos are a fun way to learn about online safety.
Keen to be involved?
If you would like to be involved in YETI:
- If you’re under 18, you will need to have a chat with your parent/guardian and ask them to sign off on your participation.
- You may receive a call from a staff member at Orygen to have a chat about your involvement in the platform and to clarify any information you may have missed.
- Once the forms are submitted, you will receive instructions on how to login to the site and get started.
Have more questions?
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the youth engagement team by email on email@example.com
YETI is offered to you as part of your involvement in youth engagement with Orygen, The National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health. By logging in and using YETI, you agree to this statement.
In case of emergency
YETI is not an emergency service. It is moderated at certain times of the day, but is not staffed at all times. YETI is not a real-time communication device. Your messages on YETI will be responded to, but usually not immediately.
If you are in an emergency situation or need immediate assistance, contact mental health services or emergency services on 000. If you need to speak to someone urgently, call Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 or Lifeline 13 11 14.
The information you provide to YETI will never be shared with anybody outside of YETI.
However, please be aware though that while using YETI that information you enter is accessible by other YETI users and could be forwarded by them to others. You own all of the content and information you post on the YETI platform. You can ‘hide’ your presence in YETI (that is, your profile and all the text you have posted) with a button in your profile.
We do our best to keep the platform safe, but we cannot guarantee it. We need your help, which includes the following commitments:
- Please don’t send or post unauthorised commercial communications (such as spam) on YETI.
- You will not forward users’ content or information to third parties.
- You will not upload viruses or other malicious code.
- You will not solicit login information or access an account belonging to someone else.
- You will not bully, intimidate or harass any user.
- You will not post content that: is hateful, threatening, or pornographic; incites violence; contains nudity; or contains graphic or gratuitous violence.
- You will not use YETI to do anything unlawful, misleading, malicious or discriminatory.
- You will not do anything that could disable, overburden, or impair the proper functioning of YETI.
- You will not facilitate or encourage any violations of these rules.
- Account security
- You must keep your contact information accurate and up-to-date.
- Protecting other people’s rights
- Please respect the rights of other users.
- You must not post content or take any action on YETI that infringes or violates someone else’s rights or otherwise violates the law.
- You must not post sensitive information about anyone on YETI.
- We will remove any content or information you post on YETI if we believe that it violates these rules.
Please complete and sign
By typing my name below, I acknowledge that I have read, understood, and are willing to comply with:
If under 18, please provide Parent/Legal Guardian information below and upload their signature
The YETI site is not a therapeutic site or emergency service. However, if youth participation staff are concerned about your wellbeing and are unable to get in contact with you directly, we may try to contact your nominated support person.
Who would you like us to contact in an emergency or if you need some extra support?
This information is collected for the purpose of your participation in the YETI platform and any programs you may nominate to be involved in as a result of this participation.