Before responding to someone who has indicated they may be at risk of suicide, ask yourself the following:
- How are you feeling?
- Are you able to provide support to the person if needed?
- Do you know where you could seek support and where you could refer the other person to for more comprehensive support?
- Is there someone else who is better placed to help?
- Will responding to the person make you feel unsafe or upset?
- Are you confident about how to deal with this situation?
- Do you understand your role and the limits of the support you could provide?
If you are concerned or do not feel comfortable responding to a 'post' that suggests someone may be at risk of suicide, that is ok. Do not feel like it is your responsibility to reach out on your own. Instead you could do the following:
Was this helpful?
Current rating: 4.2 (5 ratings)