Before you post about your own experience it can be helpful to ask yourself the following:
- How will sharing your experience make you feel? For example, if you think it could be distressing, you could ask a sibling, 'trusted adult or friend' to review your post before you 'share' it.
- What do you hope to achieve by sharing your experience? Do you want to raise awareness or are you looking for support? Are there more effective ways of achieving those things?
- Do you think you would benefit from seeking help about your current or previous experience with suicidal thoughts, feelings or behaviour? What resources, people or friends are available to help you?
- Who will see your post? It might be helpful to consider whether you are posting on a professional mental health site or an anonymous or public platform. For example, if you are looking for professional help consider reaching out to a professional website.
- How might your post might affect your friends, family and peers?
- Will people who have read your post know how to help themselves or their loved ones after reading about your experience? If not, it could be helpful to provide some suggestions.
Was this helpful?
Current rating: 2.1 (53 ratings)