For young people and families

For young people and families

Individual Placement and Support

Individual Placement and Support (IPS) is an employment and education support program co-located with mental health services. IPS is a free program that provides individualised career, employment and educational support alongside the support you receive from your mental health team.

IPS workers tailor their support to the individual, working with you to understand your career goals and then actively assist you to achieve those goals. Examples of support may include resume and cover letter preparation, training for job interviews or introducing you to employers and training providers matched to your career goals. IPS workers continue to provide support once you’ve found work or study.

If you would like to connect with an IPS program, ask your mental health service if they offer IPS or search for a headspace IPS program here.

Online Career Support

headspace offers a free digital work and study support service where you can have regular sessions with a work and study specialist via phone, video or web chat from anywhere in Australia. Click here to register for the headspace Digital Work and Study Program.

MOST is a digital mental health service for young people aged 12 to 25. It is available by referral for free at participating youth mental health services in Victoria, Queensland, New South Wales and the ACT.  MOST has a team of online career practitioners available to provide free guidance and support.

Support for International Students

If you’re an international student, your education provider may have career and employability services available on campus. Services are usually free and may provide career counselling advice, links to work experience or internship opportunities or assist with job seeking activities.

Another option is to connect with the study centre supporting international students in your state or territory. Study centres offer a range of programs dedicated to supporting international students in Australia. You can find information on study centres and other international student supports here.

Employee Assistance Program

If you are currently working, check with your employer to see if they have an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available. EAP is a confidential counselling service offered by employers to their employees to support their wellbeing. Depending on the employer’s arrangement, EAP may also extend to immediate family members and some may offer a specific career counselling service.

Career counselling services

The Career Development Association of Australia (CDAA) has career counsellors based throughout Australia offering in-person, web or phone-based appointments. CDAA members can help you manage your career, make occupational and study decisions and plan career transitions in a wide variety of ways. Career counsellors charge a fee for the services they provide so you are encouraged to contact 2-3 members and discuss your needs to make an informed decision about who could best help you.