WHAT IS YOUR SPECIFIC AREA OF INTEREST IN YOUTH MENTAL HEALTH ADVOCACY?
Research and legislative advocacy
WHY IS YOUTH MENTAL HEALTH ADVOCACY IMPORTANT TO YOU?
Mental health permeates every aspect of being human – our relationships with ourselves, loved ones, community, and society. Mental health advocacy is thus a way of striving for a better future and quality of life for humankind, providing me with a sense of purpose.
HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE MENTAL HEALTH IN YOUR COMMUNITY?
My community is taking promising steps towards greater awareness and peer support capacities. Nonetheless, there remains a need for greater regulation of and quality assurance paradigms for services, as well as stronger legislative protection against prejudice and discrimination faced by people with mental health challenges.
PROPOSED FELLOWSHIP PROJECT
Project: Regulating mental health initiatives and protecting beneficiaries
The problems I want to address with my project are:
- Need for greater regulation and accessibility of mental health services for youths.
- Need for stronger protection against prejudice and discrimination that youth with mental health challenges face.
Impact goal (long-term):
- Government recognition and implementation of an official research-based framework for organising and evaluating projects on the ground, ensuring they meet a minimum quality and sustainability standard.
- Stronger legislative protection for prejudice and discrimination against people with mental health challenges.
Expected outcomes (short-term):
- Publish a report defining the issue of lack of regulation and suggesting recommendations. e.g. on social media.
- Publish a report identifying gaps in existing legislation to protect youth with mental health issues from prejudice and discrimination and recommend improvements.